Thursday, February 24, 2011

Minestrone

This soup was adapted from a friend's recipe to make it Paleo.  However after making the adjustments I'm not sure it would still be considered a "Minestrone".  It's now more like a chicken and vegetable soup.  Whatever the case, it is delicious.  I have found that lunch is the hardest meal for me to eat Paleo.  You need something that is quick and easy and that can be put in one container and taken to work.  I always double this recipe and we eat on it all week for lunch.

Ingredients:
1 lb cooked chicken breast 
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup diced onions
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup carrots, sliced
1 tbsp dried basil
2 small zucchini, sliced
2 cups finely shredded cabbage
16 oz can tomatoes, diced and drained
32 oz container chicken stock (check to make sure it is gluten free, I use Kitchen Basics)
1 tbsp sea salt
1/4 tsp pepper

In a large stockpot combine olive oil, onions, garlic, carrots and basil.  Cook for 8 minutes.

I like to cut my carrots a little thicker and on a bias for a rustic texture.

Add chicken, zucchini, tomatoes, broth, cabbage, salt and pepper.

The stock should almost cover all of the ingredients.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for one hour.
Eat and enjoy.

A variation to this recipe (if you double it) is to use a whole rotisserie chicken.  This is how I make it, and I think the addition of some dark meat adds a really nice flavor to the soup.  The easiest route would be to buy a pre cooked chicken at your local grocery store, but if you have the time I encourage roasting your own chicken.  

I purchased this one from Springer Mountain Farms at Publix on sale for $1.69 per pound.  


Remove the innards (I know...kinda gross), rub the bird with olive oil, salt and pepper and place in roasting pan or baking dish.  
Preheat oven to 350 and cook 20 minutes per pound plus an additional 15 minutes.
To ensure the doneness of your whole chicken I suggest buying a meat thermometer.  They aren't expensive and they are very helpful.
Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh without touching the thigh bone.  The temperature should reach 180 degrees F.

The roasted bird.

Also as a side note, and to save your fingers from being burned, wait 30 minutes or so before cutting the meat off of the chicken.  After you have removed all of the meat, you can either chop or shred your chicken.

This soup is very hearty and flavorful and like I said is perfect for a quick lunch.
If you try out this recipe and enjoy it let me hear from you.





2 comments:

  1. HeheHehe! I made your blog! Very cool blog by the way. I will definitely be trying several of your recipes. Your pics are great too.

    Thanks for the link-up :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm...I use this recipe like every other week and I ALWAYS double batch it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete