Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Almond Crusted Chicken Fingers

This recipe is very similar to my "Fried" Chicken that I posted not too long ago, with a few minor upgrades. I must say, the upgrades are fantastic!

I got this recipe from my best friend who is bound and determined to start cooking healthy for her and her husband. High cholesterol runs in his family and she wants to do everything in her power to make sure her cooking is beneficial to his health. So proud of her for making healthy eating changes!

With that being said, this recipe is super healthy and I only had to make a couple minor changes to make it Paleo. Not to mention I think this recipe tastes much better than traditional fried chicken fingers.

Ingredients:

  • Olive or grapeseed oil cooking spray
  • 1/2 cup almonds
  • 1/4 cup almond flour (I was out of almond flour and used gluten-free breadcrumbs instead)
  • 1 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp dry mustard
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
  • 1 1/2 tsp EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
  • 4 large egg whites
  • 1 pound chicken tenders
Preheat oven to 425.

Line a baking sheet with foil.  Set a wire rack on the baking sheet and coat it with cooking spray.  If you don't have a wire rack I suggest investing in one.  It will keep your chicken fingers from getting soggy.

Place almonds, flour, paprika, garlic powder, dry mustard, salt and pepper in a food processor.  Process until the almonds are finely chopped and the paprika is mixed throughout, about 1 minute.  With the motor running, drizzle in the EVOO; process until combined.

In a bowl, whisk egg whites for about a minute to make them a little lighter.

Coat the chicken tenders in the egg wash first and then dredge them in the almond mixture.  Make sure all sides are evenly coated.

Place chicken tenders on the prepared rack and coat with cooking spray; turn and spray the other side.

Bake the chicken tenders about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

As a side note I bought chicken cutlets and halved them lengthwise to make "tenders".  I also doubled this recipe so we could both have lunch the next day as well!

I served this over a Strawberry Salad.  The only change I made was adding about half a teaspoon of dried thyme to the dressing.  Loved it!!

{Yes, that is a paper plate.  Winning.}

The meal was filling yet light at the same time.  Definitely going into the favorites pile for The Hamiltons!

No comments:

Post a Comment